Date and Time of Release: 6 February 2013
Subject: Information on Active Shooter Incidents (Part 5)
Recognizing signs of potential workplace violence
An Active Shooter may be a current or former employee. Alert your supervisor if you believe an employee exhibits potentially violent behavior. Indicators of potentially violent behavior may include one or more of the following;
• Increased severe mood swings, and noticeably unstable or emotional responses
• Increased unsolicited comments about violence, firearms, and other dangerous weapons and violent behavior
• Increased talks of problems with supervisors, managers or at home
• Depression or sudden withdrawal
• Increased use of alcohol and/or drugs
• Unexplained increase in absenteeism and/or vague physical complaints
These are just a few things to look for. You should consult your Human Resources Department or your supervisor for further information on what to look for.
We hope you have found this series of articles informative. If you should have any questions regarding Active Shooters, please call the Police Department at 532-8141.