- November 15, 2016
- Category: Press Releases
Date and Time of Release: 15 November 2016
Date and Time of Incident: Friday, 25 November 2016
Subject: Annual City of Sonora Christmas Parade
Friday, 25 Nov. 2016, will mark the City of Sonora’s 33rd annual Christmas Parade. This event always falls on the Friday following Thanksgiving Day and is attended by thousands of on lookers. The Sonora Police Department is tasked with traffic control and security for the parade.
We would like to remind everyone the correct location for dropping off participants for the parade is on Shaws Flat Road, in front of Sonora High School. The participants can then walk across the campus to the staging area. Disabled participants may be dropped off at the intersection of North Washington and School Streets.
“NO PARKING” will be allowed on Washington Street (Highway 49) from the Red Church to Toby Street. The “NO PARKING” restriction will start at 2 pm on Friday, 25 Nov. 2016. If you park in this area we will attempt to contact you, so you can move your vehicle. Unfortunately, if you can’t be contacted or you can’t move your vehicle in a timely manner, your vehicle will be towed.
“NO PARKING” will be allowed on the side streets between Washington Street (Highway 49) and Green Street, as well as between Washington Street (Highway 49) and Stewart Street. These restrictions will start at 2 pm on Friday, 25 Nov. 2016. Vehicles parked in these areas will also be towed.
The Tuolumne County Transit’s Holiday Trolley will run from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm, on the day of the parade. There are several pick-up and drop off locations in the downtown area. For more information regarding the Holiday Trolley schedule you may call 209-532-0404, or log onto www.tuolumnecountytransit.com .
As a result of the parade, there will be several street closures and detours, along with a large amount of vehicle and pedestrian congestion. Below is a list of the street closures, plus the detours which will be in place during the parade. All detour routes will be marked.
• School Street will be closed from 3:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
• Washington Street (Highway 49) will be closed to “ALL” traffic from the intersection of Snell Street to the intersection of Hospital Road from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
• Restano Way will be closed from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
• Stockton Road (Highway 49) will be closed to “ALL” traffic at the intersection of S. Green Street and Stockton Road from 5:00 pm until approx. 8:00 pm.
• Southbound traffic on Washington Street (Highway 49) will be detoured onto Elkin Street, then onto Stewart Street, up to Mono Way.
• Northbound traffic on Washington Street will be detoured up Hospital Road to Mono Way, then down Mono Way to Stewart Street, then onto Elkin Street and back onto Washington Street (Highway 49).
• Eastbound traffic on Stockton Road (Highway 49) will be detoured north on Forest Road, then north on Bonanza Street to Highway 49. “ALL” traffic will be stopped at Green Street and turned around.
Our goal is to ensure the safety of motorists, spectators, pedestrians, plus participants. If you are attending the parade, we suggest you arrive prior to the 5:00 pm street closure time. This will allow you time to find parking. If you are not attending the parade, you may want to avoid the downtown area to minimize your frustration with the street closures and heavy volume of traffic.
Remember, following the parade there will be a large amount of vehicle and pedestrian traffic in the downtown area. Street closures will remain in place up to 15 minutes following the end of parade, which will allow pedestrian traffic to clear the area. Take your time and be considerate. Normally, the traffic in the downtown area will clear out in approximately 30 minutes, so turn on some holiday music and enjoy the start of the holiday season while waiting. Please call the Sonora Police Department at 209-532-8141, if you should have any questions about street closures, detours, or the temporary no parking zones.