Halloween Safety Tips
- October 31, 2019
- Category: Press Releases
The Sonora Police Department would like to wish you all a Happy and Safe Halloween.
Halloween is fun for the whole family, but it also requires you to take certain safety precautions.
• Slow down, don’t drink and drive and stay off your cell phone while behind the wheel.
• Be on the alert for excited youngsters, whose vision may be obscured by masks, darting out into traffic.
• Never allow children under the age of 12 to trick or treat alone. Older children should plan their route ahead of time so parents know where they are.
• Always carry a flashlight and send one with older children.
• It’s very important that children and parents wear some type of reflective clothing, which will allow them to be seen by motorists.
• Remind children to use sidewalks when available and to look both ways before crossing the street.
• Instruct children to only visit well-lit houses and never enter a home to receive candy or a treat.
• Remind children to never approach a car, or accept treats from a person in a car.
• Inspect your children’s candy before they eat it. Wrapped and sealed treats are the safest. Discard unwrapped or homemade treats, fresh fruit or anything that looks remotely suspicious.
• Carry a cell phone and report suspicious houses and activities to your local law enforcement agency immediately.