- October 28, 2014
- Category: Press Releases
SONORA POLICE DEPARTMENT
Subject: Halloween trick or treat tips
The activities associated with Halloween can be fun for the whole family, but it also requires specific safety precautions. Consider these safety tips for trick or treating to help ensure a safe and fun Halloween for you and your children.
• Never allow children under the age of 12 to trick or treat alone. Older children should plan their route ahead of time so parents know where they are.
• Always carry a flashlight and send one with older children.
• With rainy weather in the forecast, it’s very important that children and parents wear some type of reflective clothing, which will allow them to be seen by motorists.
• Remind children to use sidewalks and to look both ways before crossing the street.
• Instruct children to only visit well lit houses and never enter a home to receive candy or a treat.
• Remind children to never approach a car, or accept treats from a person in a car.
• Inspect your children’s candy before they eat it. Wrapped and sealed treats are the safest. Discard unwrapped or homemade treats, fresh fruit or anything that looks remotely suspicious.
• Carry a cell phone and report suspicious houses and activities to your local law enforcement agency immediately.
For more information contact the Sonora Police Department, (209) 532-8141, or your local law enforcement agency.