Mission Statement, Vision Statement & Core Values
The mission of the Sonora Police Department is to provide the community and visitors with the highest quality of law enforcement services. We continually improve the public’s perception of community safety through eradication of criminal activity and any conditions that have a detrimental impact on public safety. The Department will accomplish this task while using the Community Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS) model.
Providing this service to the public will be conducted in an efficient and effective manner, consistent with statutory authority, available budgeted resources and professional skills. The Department recognizes its members as its most valuable resource, and will strive to maintain the quality of public service through committed leadership, supervisory direction, career development, succession planning and training.
The Sonora Police Department will continue to grow, adapt and evolve as we provide the highest level of service and protection to our residents and the visitors of our community.
With this vision in mind, we will achieve and surpass them by providing our officers and employees with the knowledge, tools and opportunities to meet and exceed all present and future needs of the City, within the scope of law enforcement services. We will work in cooperation with our community to proactively identify and address areas of needed improvement, and to continually provide the level of service and safety deserved by our City, its residents and visitors.
- Being dedicated to quality, timeliness and excellence in our service to the community.
- Candor, honesty, and ethical behavior by the members of our department.
- Having pride in our work, in our dedication to public service, and being the best we can be.
- Both personal and organizational integrity as being essential to the maintenance of the Sonora Police Department.
- Community-Oriented Policing and Problem Solving (COPPS) that involves a partnership between the police and public in problem solving and crime prevention.
- Honesty, integrity, and consistent discipline within our organization to maintain our credibility with the community.
- A partnership with the citizens of Sonora in making the City safe for all to work, live and visit.
- The opportunity to provide service to our community in a manner which is fair, courteous, responsive and efficient.
- Innovative, creative and proactive approaches in meeting the demands of our crime prevention and law enforcement responsibilities.
- The need to engage in strategic and future planning and to keep abreast of the latest in law enforcement technology.
- The need to treat people with respect and dignity, regardless of their age, race, gender, appearance, individual beliefs or life style.
- Sensitivity is the key quality that we should bring to our interaction with the public and other agencies in the criminal justice system with whom we interact.