Thanksgiving Safety Tips
- November 23, 2009
- Category: Press Releases
Date and Time of Release: 23 November 2009
Date and Time of Incident:
Subject: Thanksgiving Safety Tips
The following are some Thanksgiving Safety Tips offered up from the Sonora Police Department:
• Plan your trip and drive according to conditions. Remember to have a passenger use the cell phone or utilize hands free device! This largest traveled holiday accounts for the most fatalities.
• Wear your seat belt!!! Seat belts are proven to save lives and prevent injuries.
• Make sure children are secured in an approved child safety seat.
• Get enough rest and don’t try to drive when you would normally be asleep.
• Don’t answer your cell phone while driving. Let your cell phone take a message and pull off the road to answer your calls.
• Don’t text and drive!!! Taking your eyes off the road for just a second or two can have tragic consequences.
• Don’t consume alcohol!! Buzzed driving is the same as drunk driving.
• Keep kitchen clutter and loose clothing away from stove burners.
• NEVER leave cooking food unattended.
• Turkey fryers are for outdoor use away from combustible structures.
• If the contents in a pot or pan catch fire, do not touch or try to move the pot or pan as you may spread the fire or burn yourself. Extinguish the flames with a metal lid, larger pot or fire extinguisher.
• Never use water on a grease fire. Extinguish the flames with a metal lid, larger pot or a fire extinguisher.
• Keep holiday decorations away from heat sources such as stoves, candles or heaters.
• In the event of a fire or medical emergency, always call 911.
Best wishes for the holidays from the Staff of the Sonora Police Department.